It's January 2017 and I have finished my first costume!! I have surprised myself!
Coming up in February a group of friends and I are donning our late Victorian / Early Edwardian bathers. So of course it was time to make another costume.
I scoured Pinterest for many beautiful examples. A plain and simple 1909 Edwardian bathers took my liking. But I knew I was in a pickle, I had no pattern.
I still fancy myself as a newbie to the historical costume scene and sewing as well. I need a pattern, I yet to have the skill to make my own pattern.
So I decided to alter a modern pattern. I decided to use the Newlook No. 6784 Size A6 - 16 Pattern. I altered the pattern for the tunic (Dress A - Bottom Right Hand). I traced the pattern and cut it diagonally. With lots of altering etc, I ended up with a pattern I was happy with.
The fabric I used was a black and white weave cotton. It had a real vintage feel, which suited the style. I then used plan black broadcloth cotton for the trim. Black and white gingham ribbon for the trim and lastly white / cream buttons.
Hopefully in late February I will have some lovely pics of the costume at the beach.