I have an up-and-coming dinner at the Titanic Theme Restaurant. So of course one needs a new frock!
So off I went and purchased the Butterick B6190 History pattern. I just wanted a plain dress that I could make pretty quickly. I soon discovered, it wasn't the pattern that was going to take time, it was the type of fabric that I used that delayed me.
So because it was evening wear, I purchased a lilac colour satin, pale creamy pink for the lining and burgundy organza for the over skirt.
The Butterick Pattern has marvellous instructions, well illustrated and plenty of text description, I couldn't fault it. I chose to make dress B, which is the middle dress on the pattern cover. The pattern reminds me very much of a Regency dress, except the waist is further down.
When it came down to the attaching the over skirt, that was a little tricky for my poor sewing machine and myself. Sewing through slippery fabrics is not my cup of tea. So the trick is to take one's time.
Because I took my time with this dress, I didn't get to do as much beading as I wanted to. If I make another Edwardian dress, I will definitely go to town with the beading.
Expect to do hand sewing as well as machine sewing. Using delicate fabrics and lace requires hand sewing. Overall I would certainly use this pattern again, it met my expectations.